Verifier Status Maintenance Program
The purpose of the Sustainable Apparel Coalition (SAC) Verifier Status Maintenance (VSM) program is to ensure that Verifiers develop and enhance their professional-level sustainability and verification knowledge and skills during the time period that they retain the status of Verifier for the Higg FEM program. The VSM program primarily emphasizes direct verification experience but also makes allowances for professional development activities when there is an environmental sustainability or verification aspect. Verifiers are required to submit documentation on an annual basis in order to maintain their status as a Verifier.
Every year, verifiers must take action to maintain their status. This can be accomplished by submitting a VSM Worksheet or by retaking the full training, including the proctored exam (if you wish to retake the training, please contact Sumerra).
A Verifier maintains status via VSM Worksheet by meeting the minimum requirements. The categories for status maintenance points include:
- Category 1: Conducting Verifications
- Category 2: Higg Index FEM Training Attendance
- Category 3: Higg Index FEM Training Delivery
- Category 4: Other Specialized Training Attendance
- Category 5: Other Specialized Training Delivery
- Category 6. Other Environmental Assessments/Audits
- Category 7. Higg Index FEM Shadow Assessments
- Category 8. Capacity Building Projects / Consultancy work for impact areas included in FEM
- Category 9. Higg FEM technical review of verification results
- Category 10: Environmental Accreditation / Qualification from another industry Scheme (ZDHC, etc.)
- Category 11: Attendance at Environmental Conferences
- Category 12: Questions Accepted for Use in Exams (Click button below for form)
When submitting the VSM worksheet, the Verifier will be required to pay a fee. Payment of fees is a condition of maintaining status. Fees are non-refundable.The cost of submittal and review of a VSM worksheet in 2019 is US$200.
If you have chosen to submit a Worksheet, you will need to renew using the same training platform as your original training. Please note, it is important that you connect to the renewal via one of two methods:
- You should receive an email when your approval is going to expire soon. Click the link in the email (make sure you are logged into STEP first) to take you to the renewal page.
- Alternatively, you can access by going to your account and clicking Renew there (Menu -> My Activities -> Certifications)
During each annual cycle, some Verifiers are randomly selected for a VSM audit. Activities claimed on the worksheet are verified through written, impartial records.
For more information please download and review the documents below:
|Standard Procedures/Guide||Verifier Status Maintenance SOP 11DEC2018 ver. 1|
|VSM Worksheet||VSM Worksheet 08MAR2019 ver. 1.2|